The feeling of isolation and abandonment during the first wave of lockdown served as the backdrop and impetus behind the elegantly intense, introspective new single from Dreamy NYC synthpop duo Tempers‘ latest single, “Nightwalking”.
“Nightwalking” is cold, atmospheric, and deeply affecting. In the song, Jasmine Golestaneh’s ethereal voice soars with otherworld passion. summoning the phantasmagoria of Nico via The Marble Index, her cadence is part-folk, part-shoegaze, and chills the marrow with its supernatural beauty. This works in perfect tandem with the brooding bassline, impactful drums, and haunting synth melodies conjured by Eddie Cooper, who here is showing off his expertise in electronic music production.
While “Nightwalking” is cinematic, enchanting, and a powerhouse of emotion, it also suspends a distinctive mood captured from a very specific period in New York City history —and transcends the human experience.
“I took a lot of long walks at a time when people had abruptly vacated NYC, and left the remnants of their homes on the sidewalks,” explains Golestaneh. “The city’s landscape became very surreal – a ghost town turned inside out. I was thinking about how to stay open, and embrace life derailed. The sky over the city was a real source of mystery, in it’s own world of pink sunsets, and sparkling nights. The contrast of that oblivious beauty amidst the pandemic chaos felt very special, and inspired the song.”
Listen to “Nightwalking” below:
Tempers’ self-produced New Meaning navigates the unknown and its coping mechanisms, and explores the nature of choice. The album reflects upon the creation of meaning as access to liberation, speculating on the transformative potential that exists alongside the grief of living in a world in an ongoing crisis.
The album comes with a companion book of original artwork and lyrics. Golestaneh created a hand-made collage for each song, translating its sonic landscapes and lyrical themes into concrete images. The book is published by Old Habits Press.
New Meaning sees its release on April 1st via DAIS Records.
You can pre-order here.
Additionally, Tempers plan to tour North America this spring ahead of a UK/EU summer run. Highlights include SXSW, LA, NYC, Chicago, Seattle, and more. See below for a full list of dates.
Tempers 2022 Live Dates:
- 14-Mar-22: Austin, TX – SXSW
- 31-Mar-22: New York City, NY – Elsewhere Zone 1
- 02-Apr-22: Pittsburgh, PA – Andy Warhol Museum
- 04-Apr-22: Detroit, MI – Sanctuary
- 06-Apr-22: Madison, WI – U. Wisconsin
- 07-Apr-22: Iowa City, IA – Mission Creek Festival
- 10-Apr-22: Chicago, IL – Empty Bottle
- 12-Apr-22: Toronto, ON – The Garrison
- 13-Apr-22: Montreal, QB – Ritz
- 16-Apr-22: Seattle, WA – Crocodile 2nd Stage
- 17-Apr-22: Portland, OR – Mississippi Studios
- 19-Apr-22: San Francisco, CA – Milk Bar
- 20-Apr-22: Los Angeles, CA – Zebulon
- 21-Apr-22: San Diego, CA – Whistle Stop
- 24-Apr-22: El Paso, TX – The Reagan
- 27-Apr-22: Houston, TX – White Oak Music Hall
- 28-Apr-22: Austin, TX – Mohawk
- 13-May-22: London, UK – Moth Club
- 18-May-22: Paris, FR – Point Éphémère
- 03-Jun-22: Berlin, DE – Kantine am Berghain
Photo by Zac Stone