Industrial Darkwave trio Matte Blvck have unleashed their brooding new single, “Midnight & Angel,” the first new material written by the band since the pandemic hit.
The track opens with a minimal tribalistic beat that later morphs into a hauntingly danceable track; a song ‘birthed from drums and percussion,’ says vocalist Alex Gonzales. “It’s a rare occasion that I walk into the studio with the arrangement in mind; it feels as if the song was already stored in my subconscious,” he says. “We breezed right through this song; you can hear it if you begin to peel the layers off. Midnight & Angel couldn’t have come at a better time; we were all facing adversity in our lives.” Mixed by Aaron Short (The Naked and Famous, So Below), he helped Matte Blvck push their sonic foundation into darker territory.
With a sound similar to Songs of Faith and Devotion-era Depeche Mode with the gothic undertones of Clan of Xymox, the darkly euphoric track is hypnotic and sensual, peppered with industrial flourishes. It’s a glorious return to form from the San Diego band.
The members of Matte Blvck have played in other bands over the years, including Julien K, The New Division, and Moving Units, while also cooperating with heavy hitters such as DJ Ten and Timecop1983. Members have shared the stage with Stone Temple Pilots, Phantogram, The Cult, and Alice Glass. During the heart of the pandemic, they solidified Matte Blvck with the release of their debut album, I’m Waving, Not Drowning, in 2020. Considered a soundtrack for our last night on earth, the band is looking past the apocalypse and gearing up for a new album and US tour with Solar Fake.
Tour dates are listed below:
- Sept 06 Baltimore – Metro Gallery
- Sept 07 Richmond – Fallout RVA
- Sept 08 Charlotte – The Milestone
- Sept 09 Jacksonville – Archetype
- Sept 10 Tampa – Hooch and Hive
- Sept 11 – Atlanta – Star Bar
- Sept 13 – Birmingham – Ghost Train Brewing
- Sept 14 – Nashville – The Cobra
- Sept 15 – New Orleans Gasa Gasa
- Sept 16 – Houston – White Oak Music Hall
- Sept 17 – Dallas – Three Links
- Sept 18 – Austin – Elysium
- Sept 20 – Denver – Denver
Follow Matte Blvck: