I won’t know and you won’t say it now
‘cos you don’t say and I will never ask.
fan-beloved shoegaze luminaries Slowdive have just unveiled “Skin in the Game,” the second single from their highly anticipated new album everything is alive. A symphony of resonating dreams and sonic whispers, this masterwork of gauzy poetry is reflective, dreamy, and deeply emotional.
Neil Halstead’s melancholic vocals gently blend with the acoustic and electric guitars in “Skin in the Game,” embodying Slowdive’s ethereal and introspective style. While the haunting melodies and powerful harmonies, along with the cryptic lyrics, convey the importance of honest communication and genuine connections for profound relationships and inner satisfaction.
The inception of Slowdive’s new album everything is alive dates back to the fall of 2020, with the band embarking on a two-year recording journey across the UK. The album, produced by lead guitarist-songwriter Neil Halstead, was partially crafted in his home studio, with six of the eight tracks benefiting from the expertise of Grammy-winning engineer Shawn Everett.
The record is a heartfelt tribute to Rachel Goswell’s mother and drummer Simon Scott’s father, both of whom passed away in 2020. Goswell shared in a statement, “There were some profound shifts for some of us personally,” alluding to processing the life-changing losses. The album is a sonic exploration of life and hope, reflecting the deep personal transitions experienced by the band members. Despite the undercurrent of melancholy, the album is a beacon of hope, encapsulating an overarching sense of thankfulness. Goswell further added, “Those crossroads are reflected in the many-layered emotional tenor of Slowdive’s music; everything Is Alive is heavy with experience, but each note is poised, wise, and necessarily pitched to hope. Its unique alchemy subtly embodies both sadness and gratitude, groundedness and uplift.”
Neil Halstead also shared his thoughts on the album: “It wouldn’t feel right to make a really dark record right now. The album is quite eclectic emotionally, but it does feel hopeful.”
In addition to her work with Slowdive, Rachel Goswell has been part of the supergroup Beachy Head. This collective, formed by members of Slowdive, Flaming Lips, The Soft Cavalry, and Casket Girls, includes Goswell and Christian Savill from Slowdive, Matt Duckworth from Flaming Lips, Ryan Graveface from Casket Girls, and Steve Clarke from The Soft Cavalry. Their eponymous debut album was launched in April 2021 via Graveface’s own record label.
Goswell also recently joined forces with Drab Majesty for their EP, An Object in Motion, contributing her ethereal vocals to the first single, “Vanity.”
Slowdive are currently on a world tour in support of everything is alive, which will run through the beginning of November. You can purchase your tickets here.
“everything is alive” is poised for release on September 1st via Dead Oceans.
Pre-Order Everything Is Alive here
Slowdive 2023 Tour Dates:
- 07/19 – Brisbane, AU @ Princess Theatre
- 07/21 – Sydney, AU @ Enmore Theatre
- 07/22 – Melbourne, AU @ Forum
- 07/23 – Adelaide, AU @ Hindley St. Music Hall
- 07/26 – Auckland, NZ @ Powerstation
- 07/29 – Niigata Prefecture, JP @ Fuji Rock Festival
- 08/05 – Mysłowice, PL @ Off Festival
- 08/11 – Sicily, IT @ Ypsigrock Festival
- 08/18 – Brecon Beacon, UK @ Green Man Festival
- 09/23 – Toronto, ON @ Queen Elizabeth Theatre
- 09/25 – Boston, MA @ Citizens House of Blues Boston
- 09/27 – New York, NY @ Webster Hall
- 09/28 – New York, NY @ Webster Hall
- 09/29 – Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer
- 09/30 – Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
- 10/02 – Cleveland, OH @ The Roxy @ Mahall’s
- 10/03 – Chicago, IL @ Riviera Theatre
- 10/04 – St. Paul, MN @ Palace Theatre
- 10/06 – Denver, CO @ Cervantes’ Masterpiece Ballroom
- 10/07 – Salt Lake City, UT @ The Union
- 10/09 – Portland, OR @ Crystal Ballroom
- 10/10 – Seattle, WA @ Showbox SoDo
- 10/12 – San Francisco, CA @ The Warfield
- 10/14 – Los Angeles, CA @ The Bellwether
- 10/30 – Glasgow, UK @ QMU
- 10/31 – Manchester, UK @ Ritz
- 11/01 – Bristol, UK @ SWX
- 11/03 – London, UK @ Troxy
- 11/05 – Belfast, UK @ Mandela Hall
- 11/06 – Dublin, IR @ National Stadium
Please support Post-Punk.com! You can do so via: