A stunning blend of post-punk, darkwave and gothic rock, Turkey’s She Past Away has unveiled their beautifully melancholic new album Disko Anksiyete. With influences ranging from the Post-Punk and Cold Wave of the early 80s, alluding to the classic sounds New Order and Joy Division to The Sisters of Mercy and Killing Joke, She Past Away’s black-clad pastiche also artfully incorporates touches of synth acts like Grauzone and the proto EBM Neue Deutsch Welle act D.A.F. (especially the dark vocals of singer Gabi Delgado), spun into a new and innovative direction.
Originally from the city of Bursa in Turkey, now based in Athens in Greece, the duo of Volkan Caner, a uniquely gifted musician, and Doruk Ozturkcan, a charismatic and talented producer, forgo the simplicity and traditionalism of much so-called goth rock and adopt a more avant garde set of sensibilities and diverse influences to create a new take on modern gloom. The music features elements of 80’s Cold Wave and Post-Punk guitars, accompanied by retro drum machine beats. The vocals perfectly compliment the dark, minimalist and poetic lyrics, where sentimental anxieties, nihilistic thoughts, and questioning taboos and existence are ever present. She Past Away’s lyrics are entirely in Turkish, as the band feels “only language that you really feel is your mother tongue. We believe that we definitely better express all the difficulties of the daily life in Turkish.”
Disko Anksiyete is the exploration of the dark and mysterious soul, where the strange accidents of fate find through these songs their way to our hearts and to the dance-floor.
“We are relieved and excited that is finally happening because our fans have been asking us for new music for a long time!
I believe this album reflects our experience of being in a band for 10 years. We are very satisfied with the integrity, composition, arrangements and production of Disko Anksiyete as an album. We are proud of this album and confident in what we have created.”
Disko Anksiyete is out May 31st through Metropolis Records in North America, and Fabrika Records in Europe. (see tour dates in support of the record below).
She Past Away are set to tour North America this July, with several of the dates already sold out.
This is part of a larger world tour that sees a second round of North American dates in the Autumn.
- 30.05.2019 B-Eernegem, Club B52
- 01.06.2019 UK-London, The Dome
- 07.06.2019 UK-Nottingham, Rock City Beta
- 08.06.2019 UK-Glasgow, Audio Glasgow
- 28.06.2019 D-Meschede, Festival am See
- 29.06.2019 FI-Helsinki, On The Rocks
- 12.07.2019 LT-Anyksciai, Devilstone Festival
- 17.07.2019 US-New York, Brooklyn Bazaar (sold out)
- 18.07.2019 US-Chicago, Chop Shop
- 19.07.2019 US-Tampa, Crow Bar
- 20.07.2019 US-Austin, Elysium (sold out)
- 26.07.2019 US-San Diego, Brick By Brick
- 27.07.2019 US-San Francisco, Neck of the Woods
- 28.07.2019 US-Los Angeles, Echoplex (sold out)
- 02.08.2019 MX-Tijuana, Black Box
- 03.08.2019 MX-Mexico City, Foro Indie Rocks
- 09.08.2019 CO-Bogota, ASILO
- 10.08.2019 PE-Lima, La Flor de la Canela
- 06.09.2019 D-Oberhausen, Kulttempel
- 07.09.2019 D-Leipzig, NCN Festival
- 21.09.2019 SP-Barcelona, The Garage
- 04.10.2019 SL-Ljubljana, Orto bar
- 05.10.2019 CR-Zagreb, Boogaloo
- 06.10.2019 SR-Belgrade, Electropionir
- 18.10.2019 D-Lindau, Club Vaudeville
- 19.10.2019 CH-Aarburg, Musigclub
- 26.10.2019 SP-Madrid, DarkMAD Festival
- 01.11.2019 UK-Whitby, Tomorrows Ghosts Festival
- 08.11.2019 D-Berlin, SO36
- 09.11.2019 D-Cologne, Gebaude 9
- 27.11.2019 CA- Québec, Le d’Auteuil
- 28.11.2019 CA-Montreal, Salla Rossa
- 30.11.2019 CA-Vancouver, Rick Shaw Theatre
- 04.12.2019 US-Portland, Star Theater
- 05.12.2019 US-Dallas, Dada Club
- 06.12.2019 US-Denver, The Marquis Theater
- 07.12.2019 US-Los Angeles, 1720
- 13.12.2019 US-Richmond, Richmond Music Hall
- 14.12.2019 US-NY-Market Hotel
- 15.12.2019 US-Boston, ONCE BALLROOM
Please support Post-Punk.com! You can do so via: