Chicago-based Darkwave duo Wingtips, the project comprising the immensely talented pair of Vincent Segretario and Hannah Avalon, have just unleashed the video for their new single “Deaf Pursuit”. The song is hybrid of post-punk and dark synth pop—as if The Cure and Depeche Mode circa 1983 were to come together in a studio in Berlin—with Robert Smith’s Japanese inspired motifs winning out over the emerging industrial elements of Alan Wilder.
Showing deeper range in their repertoire, “Deaf Pursuit” proves a divergence in sound for Wingtips, whose previous track “Relativity”, noted for its unapologetic anthemic pop, by comparison, showcases darker dynamics ahead of the release of the band’s debut LP Exposure Therapy, whose aesthetics are distilled in the new single.
“Not only is ‘Deaf Pursuit’ the lead single in Exposure Therapy, but it’s also the song which sparked the writing process for the rest of the album,” says lead vocalist and guitarist Vincent Segretario, who spoke to Revolver for the video’s premiere, adding that the song also determined the “style and emotional intent” for the rest of the album’s ten tracks in total.
“The song came to us at a time we were both expelling a shared toxic energy present in our lives; one that lived in people we were close to. One of the most dominant themes in the album is renewal, so I felt it proper to begin the album’s course by quite literally stating, ‘You’re dead to me.’ I feel as though I’m speaking to that which I’m moving on from in my life.”
Watch the video for “Deaf Pursuit” below:
Wingtips’ Exposure Therapy is due out August 23rd on Artoffact Records.
Catch Wingtips on the road supporting the album from summer until autumn, starting August 3rd in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
See full dates below.
Wingtips tour dates:
- Aug 3 – Minneapolis, MN @ Loring Bar #
- Aug 27 – Omaha, NE @ Reverb Lounge $
- Aug 28 – Denver, CO @ Rhinoceropolis
- Aug 30 – Boise, ID @ The Shredder
- Aug 31 – Seattle, WA @ Belltown Yacht Club
- Sep 4 – Vancouver, BC @ The Astoria
- Sep 5 – Portland, OR @ The Lovecraft
- Sep 6 – Oakland, CA @ The Uptown %
- Sep 8 – San Diego, CA @ The Whistle Stop
- Sep 10 – Los Angeles, CA @ The Moroccan
- Sep 11 – Phoenix, AZ @ Lunchbox
- Sep 12 – El Paso, TX @ Rockhouse
- Sep 13 – San Antonio, TX @ The Amp Room &
- Sep 14 – Austin, TX @ Empire &
- Sep 15 – Dallas, TX @ Three Links
- Sep 17 – Tulsa, OK @ The Starlite
- Sep 18 – Kansas City, MO @ miniBar
- Sep 20 – Chicago, IL @ Cold Waves Festival
- Sep 26 – Pittsburgh, PA @ Spirit
- Sep 28 – Brooklyn, NY @ Brooklyn Bazaar +
- Sep 30 – Richmond, VA @ Banditos +
- Oct 2 – Raleigh, NC @ The Wicked Witch +
- Oct 5 – Tampa, FL @ Absolution Festival +
- Oct 10 – Nashville, TN @ Drkmttr
- Oct 11 – Louisville, KY @ Art Sanctuary
- Oct 16 – Detroit, MI @ UFO Factory
- Oct 17 – Toronto, ON @ The Boat
- Oct 19 – Newark, NJ @ QXT’s
# = w/ Silent Servant, Fee Lion
$ = w/ Plack Blague DJ set
% = w/ Ash Code
& = w/ Twin Tribes
+ = w/ Korine