Some bands defy categorization and rise up against being pigeonholed as any one particular genre. Such is definitely the case with art-pop collective Human Music, an ensemble of mischievous musicians who have just unveiled the video for their third single, “Elevation.”
Evoking the oeuvre of acts such as the Dresden Dolls and splicing the aural melange with quirky output luminaries such as Shudder to Think, DEVO, and Mr. Bungle, Human Music guide us through the oddball sonic journey of “Elevation” by utilizing the effervescence of a mellotron and Wurlitzer, along with a languid and irreverent vocal delivery whose overall effect feels like an earnest yet farcical deconstruction of contemporary society and popular music.
Lyrically, the song utilizes a crisis of faith as a metaphor for the malaise of everyday life; with the song’s protagonist evolving or devolving from a pitiful serf to a monk to a pagan madman who embraces the absurd and primordial chaos of life by getting lost in a dark forest at night.
As the band explains, “Elevation is an exercise in sincerity. It’s a day-trip into wholeheartedness for a group whose main exports are irreverence and irony. This one comes from the heart, not from the head.”
The video for Elevation was shot on location in East Sussex and Hampstead Heath and directed, edited, and produced by the band themselves.
Watch the video for “Elevation” below:
- 17.09.22 – George Tavern – C U Next Tuesday – Headline Single Launch for Elevation
- 22.10.22 – MOTH Club – Flash Delirium – Supporting Alien Tango
- 05.11.22 – Bedford Esquires – Roar Club – Supporting Fake Turins
- 10.11.22 – The Loft (Portsmouth) – Neu Waves – Supporting Fake Turins
- 19.11.22 – The Lanes (Bristol) – BLG Promotions – Supporting Fake Turins
Follow Human Music: