The Cult are set to convert Los Angeles’ iconic Greek Theatre into their own “Sonic Temple” come June 15th with a multi-act anniversary show where younger artists join the post-punk pioneers and hard rock legends onstage to celebrate 30 years of their multi-platinum 1989 album Sonic Temple; a record that features hit singles “Fire Woman,” “Edie (Ciao Baby),” “Sweet Soul Sister”, and “Sun King.”
The one night only event, which could be considered a spiritual successor to lead singer Ian Astbury‘s 1990 pre-Lollapalooza festival “A Gathering of the Tribes”, features’ a modern goth luminaries such as Prayers, Zola Jesus, and Vowws.
“We’ve never thrown a party like this before,” says Frontman Ian Astbury. “We want to celebrate the band’s DNA and especially the album Sonic Temple as this year Beggars Banquet are planning a substantial reissue project.” He adds: “Prayers and Vowws have both toured with us and the timing felt right for bringing this group of artists together. In many ways I feel these artists are kindred spirits, along with Zola Jesus–outsiders who are unique and deeply romantic in a time of material posturing and disconnect. They are devoted to their craft; I identify with their honesty in performance and fearlessness and originality in their creativity. They are truly inspired and in harmony with now.”
Los Angeles is a key city for THE CULT. It’s where Astbury and guitarist Duffy live and where they’ve played historic shows.
“The Greek is an amazing theatre in our own adopted backyard where I’ve have seen amazing and diverse shows–Sinatra, the Pistols and Neil Young, for example,” says Duffy. “I’m honored that The Cult gets to walk the same stage as such legends in a beautiful historic outdoor setting.” He adds: “We feel outdoor venues seem to warrant a longer show as folks like to attend early and stay late so to that end we have expanded the bill the make it a truly special night of diverse music.”
Of this love for Los Angeles, Astbury Continues:
“L.A. has always been a muse since I was very young with the stories and myths spun out through film, literature, poetry, art and music that I was attracted to. It was and still is a city of refuge for British musicians; the lifestyle suited our needs and continues to do so. Hearing a wild coyote or seeing the snow-capped mountain evokes a deep sense of awe and transcendence primal and modern–a cultural multi-faceted diamond that inspires and confounds; it’s always changing, never staying still.”
During the concert, The Cult will be performing material from throughout their ten album song catalog, with a core focus on material from the band’s fourth album Sonic Temple, with some of the songs not performed live since the album was originally released in 1989.
Sonic Temple will be reissued in a special 30th anniversary edition by Beggars Banquet (release date TBA).
Tickets for the show go on sale Friday, April 5 at 10:00 AM (PT). Purchase tickets here.
See More more of The Cult’s 2019 tour itinerary below.
- May 02/2019 Houston, Texas, House of Blues
- May 03/2019 New Orleans, Louisiana, The Fillmore
- May 04/2019 Jacksonville, Florida, Rockville Festival
- May 09/2019 Dallas, Texas, House of Blues
- May 10/2019 Atlanta, Georgia, Tabernacle
- May 11/2019 Rockingham, North Carolina, Epicenter Festival
- May 17/2019 Grand Rapids, Michigan, 20 Monroe Live
- May 18/2019 Columbus, Ihio, Sonic Temple Festival
- May 19/2019 Chicago, Illinois, Chicago Open Air Festival
- May 25/2019 Catton Hall, Derbyshire, UK, Bearded Theory’s Spring Gathering
- May 26/2019 Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, UK, Sage Gateshead
- May 28/2019 St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada, Mile One Centre
- May 30/2019 Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, Casino New Brunswick
- June 01/2019 Montreal, Québec, Canada, MTELUS
- June 02/2019 Rama, Ontario, Canada, Casino Rama
- June 05/2019 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, Club Regent Casino
- June 07/2019 Enoch, Alberta, Canada, River Cree Resort & Casino
- June 09/2019 Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, Vogue Theatre
- June 10/2019 Seattle, Washington, Moore Theatre
- June 12/2019 San Francisco, California, The Regency Ballroom
- June 14/2019 Reno, Nevada, Grand Sierra Resort & Casino
- June 15/2019 Los Angeles, California, The Greek Theatre
- June 22/2019 Vitoria-gasteiz, Spain, Azkena Rock Festival
- Sept 13/2019 Del Mar Fairgrounds, California, KAABOO Del Mar
Please support Post-Punk.com! You can do so via: