Your face in the press
The bars and the stars upon your dress
And love eventually
As Australian post-punk heroes The Church continue to celebrate a career spanning over four decades, they are treating fans to 25 more U.S. this fall and a deluxe Edition of their 26th studio album. Originally released back in February, this new expanded version of THE HYPNOGOGUE, is slated for a September 22, 2023 release via Communicating Vessels.
Ahead of the release, The Church is offering fans a sneak peek of the bonus material from this deluxe version of their latest album with the release of their new single “Realm of Minor Angels.” The track showcases The Church’s ever-evolving sound and their ability to create dreamy, atmospheric harmonies.
The song’s lyrics are a poignant journey into memories of love, longing, and loss. Nuances like fallen autumn leaves and familiar rendezvous spots narrate tales of significant yet fleeting moments. The repeated motifs of “cards and envelopes” paired with hints of deceit paint a narrative of miscommunication and betrayal. The haunting reflections on past shared moments evoke artists such as Scott Walker, John Cale, The Zombies, and Richard Hawley – the blend of raw emotion and ironic undertones floating amidst poignant key transitions and luminescent interludes.
Bassist, vocalist, and founding member Steve Kilbey effuses about the track, saying, “‘Realm of Minor Angels’ is without doubt one of my favorite singles The Church has ever released. From the moment (guitarist) Jeffrey Cain started playing the opening riff, I was hooked. The singing and lyrics are my own subtle homage to the torch songs of the ‘60s, and check out Ian Haug’s mandolin lines and Ashley Naylor’s slide work.”
Listen to “Realm of Minor Angels” below:
Their first-ever concept album, THE HYPNOGOGUE ( originally released February 24, 2023, via Communicating Vessels), earned The Church some of the most glowing accolades in their storied 40-year journey. The record extends itself as a surreal tale featuring characters like Sun Kim Jong, a Korean scientist delving into the occult, and rockstar Eros Zeta, who seeks the device to rekindle his waning fame. This narrative, set against an expansive otherworldly backdrop, beautifully complements Steve Kilbey’s dream-laden vocals.
Since their formation in 1980, The Church has consistently evolved their sound, blending indie rock, post-punk, dreampop, and psychedelic post-rock. They have a series of hits under their belt, including “Under the Milky Way,” “Reptile,” “The Unguarded Moment,” and “Almost With You.”
Their live performances have also solidified their legendary status, like their memorable set at 2022’s Cruel World Festival alongside luminaries such as Blondie, Bauhaus, DEVO, and more!
At the helm of The Church is Steve Kilbey, with the rhythmic backbone provided by drummer-producer Tim Powles. Guitarist Ian Haug, previously of Powderfinger fame, has been an integral part of the group since 2013. Jeffrey Cain, once a touring member, took on a permanent role after Peter Koppes’ 2020 departure. The ensemble’s recent entrant, renowned guitarist Ashley Naylor, is celebrated for his longstanding association with Paul Kelly’s touring band.
The Hypnogogue’s expanded version comes out on September 22nd on the Communicating Vessels label. As of yet, the band has not yet released the tracklist or stated the number of additional songs.
This autumn, The Church will embark on their second leg of touring in the US to promote the updated version of their latest album. Previously, they performed 20 shows across the country in March and April. The new leg of the tour will commence on September 28th in Seattle and conclude with two concerts in Evanston, Illinois, in October.
Visit thechurchband.net for complete ticket information.
- Sep 28 Seattle, WA Neptune Theater
- Sep 30 San Francisco, CA Hardly Strictly Bluegrass 2023
- Oct 1 Mill Valley, CA Sweetwater Music Hall
- Oct 2 Ventura, CA Ventura Music Hall
- Oct 4 Pomona, CA The Glass House
- Oct 5 Las Vegas, NV Brooklyn Bowl
- Oct 6 Chandler, AZ The Showroom at Wild Horse Pass
- Oct 7 Santa Fe, NM The Lesnic
- Oct 9 Omaha, NE The Waiting Room
- Oct 11 Ferndale, MI The Magic Bag
- Oct 12 State College, PA State Theater
- Oct 13 Covington, KY Madison Theatre
- Oct 14 Atlanta, GA Variety Playhouse
- Oct 15 Birmingham, AL Saturn
- Oct 17 Ponte Vedra, FL Ponte Vedra Concert Hall
- Oct 18 Orlando, FL The Abbey
- Oct 19 Clearwater, FL Capitol Theatre
- Oct 20 Fort Lauderdale, FL Culture Room
- Oct 21 Fort Lauderdale, FL Culture Room
- Oct 23 Pensacola, FL Vinyl Music Room
- Oct 24 New Orleans, LA House of Blues
- Oct 26 Austin, TX Levitation Festival
- Oct 27 Houston, TX Heights Theater
- Oct 28 Dallas, TX Kessler Theater
- Oct 29 Oklahoma City, OK Tower Theater
- Oct 31 Evanston, IL SPACE
- Nov 1 Evanston, IL SPACE
Please support Post-Punk.com! You can do so via: